Saturday, November 12, 2011

Epic October 2011 - Day 5


Betsy picked me up around 10am and we spent the day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (MGM…which it will always be to me). First we went on The Great Movie Ride, which is one of my absolute favorites. I’m happy to say that not only did we get the front row but we had the gangster as well.

Next we went on Toy Story Mania. Getting to ride that twice in one day without having to wait very long was incredible (thank you, Betsy!). It was my very first time on the ride and I LOVED IT. For it being my first attempt, I did not do too shabby. What a fun idea for an attraction! I’m really happy that Disney decided to add this to their treasure trove of awesome attractions. After riding the first time around, I got to meet one of the soldiers from Toy Story!

We did the Backlot Tour afterwards. My eyes widened at all of the Pirates props. We laughed at the pre-show when the poor individual gets soaking wet from the enormous amount of water. The most interesting part of the attraction this time around was not the actual attraction. No. It was something that happened right before we were about to take off in the tram. I had my 40th anniversary WDW MK pin in my backpack. I did not realize that the pin came undone and the sharp part was sticking right out of the bag. When we boarded the tram, I took the bag and as I slipped it down in between my feet, I felt this scraaaaatch down my leg. Afraid to look down, I did, and saw blood from a four-inch cut on the side of my leg. Lovely. So all during the ride, I put pressure on it and held an antibacterial wipe to it until we got off the tram. Betsy got me a mini first aid kit (thank you, Betsy!) and I took care of the situation thanks to ointment and band aids. I looked ridiculous with a line of band aids running down my leg, but at that point, all I really wanted to do was avoid infection and carry on with the day.

We grabbed some lunch after that. Then we went to the Muppets 3-D show. Yay! I always love seeing that. Statler and Waldorf, along with the Sweetums appearance, always makes me smile. We went to see the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular as well. I so enjoy that show. We watched a bit of Mulch, Sweat, and Shears after that. They were great but Betsy was disappointed that Axe was not there. ;)

Another highlight of the day was going to Animation Academy. Okay. Here’s the thing…I am not good at drawing….at all. I was not expecting to create an epic masterpiece like Betsy would. But I thought it might be somewhat good. Now. As most of you probably know, they do not give you erasers. All they give you is a desk, a pencil, and paper. Let’s just say that by the end of the session, I was asking the animator for an eraser. We all drew Pooh and mine looked like it had a goiter. Betsy thought this was the funniest thing in the world and was laughing hysterically at me. Not going to lie, I was a bit peeved at first…at myself AND her. ;) I think the worst of it was when kids were bringing their designs up to the animator for her to show everyone, and they all looked better than mine. Theirs looked like a Picasso creation compared to mine. But a fun time was had and I laughed it off. I will do better next time!

I do recall that right after that, we went to One Man’s Dream. I had only been in this building and to the film once before and I remembered crying hysterically. I even warned Betsy, “Prepare to watch me fly into the bathroom for tissues after the film.” Her crying started before mine, though! Hers began within the first five minutes. Mine started when Julie Andrews began talking about Uncle Walt spending a particular day of the week with his daughter. Then I BAWLED when Jiminy Cricket sang “When You Wish upon a Star.” I tried covering up afterwards by telling her that I was just upset at my faulty drawing of Pooh. LOL.

Uncle Walt's office

We rode Toy Story Mania a second time and The Great Movie Ride again (yay for another ride of front row AND the gangster!). We shopped around a bit and did the trivia at Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind Shop to attempt answering the questions. We did not do so well.

We left the park afterwards and drove to the Wilderness Lodge. We had a dining reservation at Whispering Canyon! Shalon met us there. J Dinner was absolutely wonderful. The cornbread is such a highlight of the meal. Of course, after asking for extra straws, we had a bunch thrown on the table. And I had to ask for ketchup. Much to my happiness, a few kids brought over about thirty bottles. Shortly after, another family also asked for ketchup, so the three of us brought all of our bottles over.

Shalon obviously enjoyed her dinner.

Awhile after dinner, it was getting close to 8pm. If there was going to be a time where I would have the chance to see the Main Street Electrical Parade, this would be the night. I looked at Betsy and Shalon and they said, “You are going to miss Fernando.” (Fernando is the turtle whom I have a crush on in the parade. He is my leading man.) I was hemming and hawing about it…”Wellll, I don’t have to see it….” They hollered at me and said, “GO. JUST GO.” Off I went. I scrambled to the ferry, hopped on, and entered the Magic Kingdom with a big smile on my face and determination in my step. I squeezed my way through the crowd and almost to the very front. I got there in time! They were just coming around Main Street USA! I was grinning like the Mouseketeer that I am the entire time. All of our favorite characters passed by, waving at everyone. Then, there he was, in all of his shining glory….Fernando. My heart skipped a beat. I may have shed a tear as well. Unbelievably, Fernando began to do his little spinning thing that the adorable MSEP floats do, and he stopped when he was facing me. He came a bit closer and just paused. He and I were looking at each other for a moment, then he carried on. It was a magical moment for me. It was as if he thanked me for taking the time on my vacation to see him. When he passed by, I yelled out “BYE FERNANDO!!!” A guest next to me laughed wickedly and said, “Ha, she calls him Fernando.” I shot her a dirty look. She is just jealous of the magical moment that he and I shared on Main Street. J

I walked to the front entrance to meet up with Betsy and Shalon. Then the three of us squeezed our way to a great spot in front of Cinderella’s Castle. This was going to be the very first time I saw The Magic, The Memories, and You. What a beautiful, amazing show. I am so blessed to have had the chance to see it. My jaw dropped open from the very first scene. Then Uncle Walt appeared on the castle, and I began to cry. Shortly after that, Wishes began. More crying then ensued. I laughed as Shalon was singing “Wisheeeeees” and Betsy was yelling at her to stop.

We took the ferry back to the Wilderness Lodge, where we all went to the Villas. I had never been there before. It is so beautiful inside. Betsy showed us her favorite rocking chairs, and I got to see a piece of Uncle Walt’s railroad that he had in his backyard. Shalon had to leave afterward, but Betsy and I stayed a while longer. We sat at a table and ate our dessert from Whispering Canyon (I had the Kahlua flavored chocolate cake and she had the apple caramel pie). Then we sat in the rocking chairs and just rested. It was one of my favorite moments of the vacation…being able to not think about anything else and enjoy the peace.

What an emotional roller coaster of a day. My horrible drawing, One Man’s Dream, MM&Y, and Wishes. And I got to spend it with two of my favorite people in the entire world. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment